5 of 23Image
Images start appearing as part of the Google logo.
Google goes global and adds ten languages to its search functions. Users could now conduct searches in French, German, Italian, Swedish, Finnish, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Norwegian and Danish.
Jupiter Communications, estimated that 55 percent of all websites would be published in languages other than English by 2003.
Google announces that it now indexes over one billion web pages.
NEC Research Institute, announced that there are more than 1 billion web pages online in 2000. Users could search almost all of this content and get access to 560 million full-text indexed web pages and 500 million partially indexed URLs.
Google introduces its 'Advertise with us' link. Over 13 million searches were performed each day. It offered 'targeted advertising opportunities in the form of direct keyword and keyword phrasing, as well as relevant Internet category matching'.
Demographics of Google users:
- Male (65%), female (35%)
- High education (65% have at least a BA/BS)
- Professional (73%)
- High income (average income is $71,000)
- Highly technical (71% report high/very high computer skills)
- Online experience of 4+ years (58%)
- Accessing the Internet from work (48%)
- Using the web for work purposes (31%)