6 of 23Image
Google announces that it now indexes over one billion web pages.
NEC Research Institute, announced that there are more than 1 billion web pages online in 2000. Users could search almost all of this content and get access to 560 million full-text indexed web pages and 500 million partially indexed URLs.
Google introduces its 'Advertise with us' link. Over 13 million searches were performed each day. It offered 'targeted advertising opportunities in the form of direct keyword and keyword phrasing, as well as relevant Internet category matching'.
Demographics of Google users:
- Male (65%), female (35%)
- High education (65% have at least a BA/BS)
- Professional (73%)
- High income (average income is $71,000)
- Highly technical (71% report high/very high computer skills)
- Online experience of 4+ years (58%)
- Accessing the Internet from work (48%)
- Using the web for work purposes (31%)
AdWords appears on the home screen.
The original idea was invented by Bill Gross of Idealab who, in turn, borrowed the idea from the model of the Yellow Pages. Google wanted to buy the idea but a deal could not be reached. Not wanting to give up on this form of advertisement, it launched its own solution, AdWords in 2000.