7 of 23Image
Google introduces its 'Advertise with us' link. Over 13 million searches were performed each day. It offered 'targeted advertising opportunities in the form of direct keyword and keyword phrasing, as well as relevant Internet category matching'.
Demographics of Google users:
- Male (65%), female (35%)
- High education (65% have at least a BA/BS)
- Professional (73%)
- High income (average income is $71,000)
- Highly technical (71% report high/very high computer skills)
- Online experience of 4+ years (58%)
- Accessing the Internet from work (48%)
- Using the web for work purposes (31%)
AdWords appears on the home screen.
The original idea was invented by Bill Gross of Idealab who, in turn, borrowed the idea from the model of the Yellow Pages. Google wanted to buy the idea but a deal could not be reached. Not wanting to give up on this form of advertisement, it launched its own solution, AdWords in 2000.
Google Groups appear.
In February 2001, Google acquired Deja News, an archive of messages posted to Usenet discussion groups. Its assets were transitioned to groups.google.com where users could access the newsgroups through the Google Groups interface