Acer continues to roll out new offerings from its tablet catalog. Today's new release is the 10.1-inch, ultra-lightweight Iconia Tab W500.
The Iconia Tab W500 is targeted at both general consumers and for industry-related purposes (i.e. education and small businesses). Such diversity could make or break this device. While it's nice that's its versatile, it might be better if the W500 could fit in a more niche category to compete against the slew of tablets rolling out this spring. After all, most Windows 7-based tablets haven't found a fit in the consumer category.
At least it's a very travel-friendly slate as it weights only 2.14 pounds, and it can be paired with a full-size chiclet docking keyboard via USB. However, the battery life is less than impressive at up to four hours of HD video playback and six hours of Internet browsing.
Nevertheless, the spec list of the Iconia Tab W500 is definitely worth a look. For example:
- 10.1-inch multi-touch, LED-backlit display (1,280 x 800 resolution)
- AMD C-50 processor
- ATI Radeon HD 6250 graphics
- 2GB of DDR3 memory
- 32GB solid state drive
- 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi
- Connectivity: HDMI, Ethernet, SD card slot (expandable up to 32GB)
- Dolby advanced audio v2
- Supports Adobe Flash 10.1, 1080p HD video playback
- Dimensions: 10.83- x 7.48- x 0.63-inches
Two models of the Iconia Tab W500 will be made available, and the major difference is the operating system. Available now, the W500-BZ467 with Windows 7 Home Premium will retail for $549.99, and the W500P-BZ841 with Windows 7 Professional will cost $619.00.
Related coverage on ZDNet:
- Acer Iconia Tab A500 (photos)
- Acer introduces two new 3D desktop LCD monitors, including 27-inch LED-backlit display with HDMI 3D support
- Acer: It's time to own up to your lemons and fix your lousy support
- Android tablet on the cheap: Acer Iconia A500 is the XOOM "Light"
- Acer's Iconia Tab A500 Android 3.0 tablet available for pre-order at Best Buy