AirDisk and iTunes problems

Summary:In a previous blog posting ("Migrate your iTunes library off your local hard drive") I wrote about how to free up a bunch of hard drive space by moving your iTunes library to an external USB hard drive that you then attach to the new 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBS). Stop the presses!

Airport Disk UtilityIn a previous blog posting ("Migrate your iTunes library off your local hard drive") I wrote about how to free up a bunch of hard drive space by moving your iTunes library to an external USB hard drive that you then attach to the new 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBS). Stop the presses!

This setup worked for me for about three days, then suddenly iTunes couldn't find any of my music. I got a horrible sinking feeling after clicking on track after track only to be greeted by the ugly error that my music couldn't be found and "would I like to find it?" Ugh. 

Preferences > Advanced > iTunes Music Folder Location... points to the right place
Advanced > Consolidate Library - doesn't help

The craziest thing is that some tracks play just fine (a couple dozen at most). Getting info on them (Command-I) even shows that they're in the right location. So how, may fair reader, can 1% of my library be found whilst the other 99% is now missing?

Do not move your iTunes library to an AirDisk (my term for a USB disk connected to the new AEBS) until this issue is resolved. 

I think that I'll just upgrade to one of those spacious new 300GB mobile hard drives instead. 

Topics: Hardware

About

Jason D. O'Grady developed an affinity for Apple computers after using the original Lisa, and this affinity turned into a bona-fide obsession when he got the original 128 KB Macintosh in 1984. He started writing one of the first Web sites about Apple (O'Grady's PowerPage) in 1995 and is considered to be one of the fathers of blogging.... Full Bio

zdnet_core.socialButton.googleLabel Contact Disclosure

Kick off your day with ZDNet's daily email newsletter. It's the freshest tech news and opinion, served hot. Get it.

Related Stories

The best of ZDNet, delivered

You have been successfully signed up. To sign up for more newsletters or to manage your account, visit the Newsletter Subscription Center.
Subscription failed.