I was eight years old when the first Star Wars movie was released and still own playing cards I bought from 1977. I have been a Star Wars fan for most of my life, note my username of palmsolo, and even dressed up as Han Solo for Halloween this year. Thus, I was very excited to see Star Wars Angry Birds come to mobile devices and tonight it launched on iOS and Android smartphones and tablets. You can now purchase and download Angry Birds Star Wars for the iPhone (iTunes link) for 99 cents and for the iPad for $2.99 (iTunes link). It is also on the Google Play Store in HD format for $2.99 and regular format for free (with ads).
UPDATE: This new game is also available now on Windows Phone. I can't find it by searching in the Windows Phone Store, but if you use a free app like All About Windows Phone then you can get a download link from within that app. It should show up in search eventually too. It costs 99 cents in the Windows Phone Store, but can also be downloaded on a trial basis.
I bought it first for my iPad because I prefer to play Angry Birds games on the larger display. I made it through 21 levels so I could get a feel for the game and so far I love the sounds, the weapons, and the characters. It is great to use the force, use a lightsaber, and use Han Solo's blaster (hint: you can aim it in any direction not just straight in front of you). I knew I was going to like this game just because of the Star Wars name, but so far I am liking it even more for the interesting gameplay and appreciate all the efforts that Rovio put into it.
Here is the description they posted on iTunes:
- HOURS AND HOURS OF ENGAGING GAMEPLAY - Explore more than 80 levels in iconic locations like Tatooine and the Pig Star. Can you dodge Imperial pigs, laser turrets, Tusken Raider pigs, and the dark side of the Force to get all three stars?
- NEW GAMEPLAY MECHANICS - Use lightsabers, Blasters and Jedi powers to wreak havoc on the Imperial Pigs!
- LEVEL UP YOUR BIRDS - Keep playing and level up your birds to improve their skills!
- SECRETS AND HIDDEN GOODIES - Can you unlock all the R2-D2 and C-3PO bonus levels?
- FREE UPDATES - This is only the beginning of the epic saga!
- THE MIGHTY FALCON - Stuck on a tricky level? Earn stars and call the Mighty Falcon to rain down the destruction. New goals, achievements and gameplay!
- PATH OF THE JEDI - The ultimate training ground for a Young Jedi, this in-app purchase unlocks 40 Dagobah Challenge Levels with Jedi Master Yoda! Master the Path of the Jedi to unlock the ultimate lightsaber!
The game is also coming to Windows Phone 8 in the future, but I don't know when that release is planned. As I stated in my update above, you can now find it for Windows Phone too.