Apple today released OS X 10.8.5 as a free update to all Mac users running Mountain Lion. The update, which can be found in the Updates tab of the App Store weighed in at a paltry 267MB on my MacBook Air 13-inch (your mileage may vary).
From the release notes:
- Fixes an issue that may prevent Mail from displaying messages
- Improves AFP file transfer performance over 802.11ac Wi-Fi
- Resolves an issue that may prevent a screen saver from starting automatically
- Improves Xsan reliability
- Improves reliability when transferring large files over Ethernet
- Improves performance when authenticating to an Open Directory server
- Addresses an issue that prevented a smart card from unlocking preference panes in System Preferences
- Contains the improvements included in MacBook Air (Mid 2013) Software Update 1.0
MacRumors notes that the final 10.8.5 release comes after nine external betas released to developers.
Mountain Lion is the ninth and final of Apple's "cat" OS releases. At WWDC in June Applethat the successor to OS X 10.8 will be dubbed " ," in a nod to the famous California surf destination. Mavericks is due this fall.
Direct download links: