Yesterday I reported that Apple had filed a lawsuit against Samsung, accusing the electronics giant of copying “the look and feel” of the iPad tablet and iPhone for it’s Galaxy S 4G, Epic 4G, Galaxy Tab, and Nexus S handset.
When does paying homage cross the line into blatant ripping off?
Apple is claiming that, amongst other things, Samsung is infringing on several hardware, software and packaging dress elements. Among these are:
- Rectangular device with rounded corners
- Front-facing screen with black border
- Metallic frame
- Colorful, square icons with rounded corners
- A row of icons along the bottom of the screen
- Rectangular packaging with metallic type
- Use of a tray to hold the product and make it visible as soon as the lid of the two-piece box has been lifted
Take a look at the evidence that Apple offers up in the lawsuit. What do you think?
Here is the packaging for the iPhone and iPad:
Here's Samsung's packaging for the Galaxy S:
And here's the packaging for the Tab:
What about the devices themselves?
What do you think?
Then what about the icons?
Paying homage or ripping off? You decide!
Complaint here (WARNING - 10MB PDF)