Apple touted new MacBook Airs, MacBook Pros and a look at iOS6, but its primary asset---app developers---was highlighted early at its WorldWide Developer Conference.
Tim Cook, Apple CEO, highlighted some jaw dropping figures:
- 400 million App Store accounts;
- 650,000 apps in its store;
- 30 billion apps downloaded;
- And $5 billion in payments to developers.
In other words, Apple's design and ecosystem garner all the headlines, but the biggest moat around its business model is its developer community. If developers stick with iOS---and there's no reason they wouldn't follow the money adn those links to real credit card accounts---Apple will continue to get the exclusive apps and deliver content to its users.
- Apple CEO Cook: Ultrabooks are pretenders
- WWDC 2012: By the numbers
- CNET: Complete WWDC 2012 coverage