DataLocker is designed to address the gap between convenience and concern over personal data stored in the cloud.
Thus, DataLocker includes technology that is supposed to easily encrypt sensitive information in Dropbox accounts and other personal cloud storage spaces without sacrificing the biggest reason for using a cloud service: accessing data from anywhere (with an Internet connection).
DataLocker is the first product developed and produced by AppSense's research arm, AppSense Labs. This division is dedicated to creating new, user-centric solutions around the cloud, data and mobile (especially tablet) technologies.
While AppSense Labs developers do work on consumer-related projects, they're also dedicated to designing products that fit within traditional PCs and enterprise IT infrastructures.
The DataLocker suite is available to download for free starting today for Windows and Mac computers. An iOS version will be available in the Apple App Store soon.
Screenshot via AppSense
- SkyDrive, the latest competitor for student loyalty
- T-Mobile teams with Square on mobile commerce solution
- SocialFolders: Dropbox on your desktop?
- Open Group security gurus dissect the cloud: Higher or lower risk?
- How much online privacy do you really have? Less than you think