Bridging the gap on business intelligence consumption

Summary:While business intelligence and analytics plays a key role in many organisations today, it has yet to achieve spread adoption to improve organisational decision making.

Despite recent efforts by many organisations to invest, develop, and educate its employees on business intelligence (BI) and analytics, only a small portion are actually consuming and adopting the available information to its fullest potential.

According to a 2010 Accenture Institute for High Performance report, only about 20 percent of employees are considered as being analytics professionals, with the reason for this being that analysing data is often part of their day-to-day job function. Meanwhile, the remaining 70 to 80 percent are known as analytics amateurs, with this group mainly made up of executives and managers.

Speaking at the Gartner Business Intelligence and Information Management Summit in Sydney, Dr Rado Kotorov, vice president of product marketing for Information Builders, said this result indicates that the way the two groups consume information is different.

"We always interpreted BI and analytics as a job everyone had to do, which isn't wrong. But the difference is analysts go through the analytics and data from an analysis perspective and often take their time, while professionals make their decisions based on tacit professional knowledge," he said.

Kotorov also suggested that for this reason, Google Glass has been designed to bridge the gap between analytics amateurs and professionals.

"Google Glass has been built to target professionals where they cannot look back at their information, instead need that information right in front of them so they can make decisions almost instantaneously," he said.

"We're beginning to target systems and devices that can help us make quicker decisions based on tacit knowledge."

Kotorov went on to say that it's important for businesses to reduce uncertainty between what information is consumed, and the best way to do that is to align the corporate culture so "everyone gets exactly the information they need".

"We have tools such as applications and content management systems that allow business intelligent users to self-service themselves with information that is important to them," he said.

Topics: Business Intelligence, Google

About

Since completing a degree in journalism, Aimee has had her fair share of covering various topics, including business, retail, manufacturing, and travel. She continues to expand her repertoire as a tech journalist with ZDNet.

Kick off your day with ZDNet's daily email newsletter. It's the freshest tech news and opinion, served hot. Get it.

Related Stories

The best of ZDNet, delivered

You have been successfully signed up. To sign up for more newsletters or to manage your account, visit the Newsletter Subscription Center.
Subscription failed.