Windows 8 tablets are appearing regularly, and Lenovo has unveiled an 8-inch ThinkPad tablet at the Consumer Electronic Show (CES) in Las Vegas. The ThinkPad Tablet 8 is the newest tablet and the first 8-inch model in the ThinkPad product line.
The ThinkPad Tablet 8 runs full Windows 8.1 on a 1920x1200 display with Intel Bay Trail technology inside which should yield decent performance and good battery life.
ThinkPad Tablet 8 specs:
- Processor: Intel® Z3770 Quad-Core 2.4Ghz (Bay Trail Quad Core)
- OS: Windows 8.1 (includes Office)
- Display: 8.3 inch (1920x1200) FHD with 10 finger multi-touch screen
- Memory: 2GB
- Storage: Up to 128GB
- Cameras: Front: 2 MP (HD1080p); Rear: 8MP (HD1080p)
- Ports: 1x MicroUSB 3.0; 1x MicroHDMI; MicroSD ; MicroSIM (WWAN only)
- Communications: 4G LTE/3G or WiFi
- Battery: Up to 8 hours (20.5Whr)
- Weight: 430g (0.95lbs) WiFi, 439g (0.97lbs) WWAN
- Dimensions: 132 mm x 224.3mm x 8.8mm; 5.19 x 8.87 x 0.34 inches
The ThinkPad Tablet 8 is a full Windows tablet, and Lenovo is including Office. The inclusion of Office is becoming commonplace on Windows tablets as Microsoft and OEMs realize that is the biggest draw over tablets on other platforms.
Given its small size Lenovo is not offering a keyboard option, but has a unique smart cover it calls the Quickshot Cover. This has a corner that can be folded down, exposing the 8MP rear camera and automatically firing up the camera app.
The ThinkPad Tablet 8 will be available from Lenovo in late January starting at $399.