Half-off discounts from retailers delivered via email are up significantly holiday season, according to a new report from Experian CheetahMail, a unit of Experian Marketing Services.
The use of the term "50% off" garnered the biggest year-over-year growth, with a 30 percent increase. The offer of 30 percent off is also big this year. However, campaigns offering only 10 percent and 20 percent off have decreased.
Unsurprisingly, flash sales are also much bigger this year and are up 31 percent in volume, and the inclusion of "Facebook" in the subject line has tripled since the same period in 2010.
Here's a closer look at some of the big results from Experian's survey:
Although the Experian report doesn't outline the results of these trends specifically in the report, perhaps this is partially why we're seeing stronger sales this holiday seasons compared to the last few years.
But Experian CheetahMail general manager Rachel Bergman did explain in the report that there is something to be said for sending more relevant and targeted emails rather than just "bulk" messages.
"The combination of great offers, great content, and mailing to engaged customers has yielded terrific results thus far,” Bergman said.
[Table via Experian CheetahMail]
- Consumers relying on mobile shopping to save money (survey)
- U.S. smartphone owners gravitate towards mobile shopping (survey)
- Nearly half of holiday mobile shoppers are frustrated (survey)
- My absolute favorite iOS holiday shopping app
- Most millennials in favor of electronic games while on the runway (survey)