After Facebook showed off some numbers as part of its initial public offering (IPO) filing three months ago, Hitwise decided to join the fun: by sharing 10 of its own statistics about the social network.
This time, the competitive intelligence service has decided to release some numbers in advance of the big event. It has upped the number of statistics to 15. Some we've seen before, and others we haven't, but either way, here's the full list (the data is for the U.S. only and does not include all mobile traffic):
- Facebook.com received 9 percent of all U.S. Internet visits in April 2012.
- Facebook.com received more than 1.6 billion visits a week and averaged more than 229 million U.S. visits a day for the year-to-date.
- 1 in every 5 page views in the U.S. occurred on Facebook.com.
- Facebook.com has received more than 400 billion page views this year in the U.S.
- The average visit time on Facebook.com is 20 minutes.
- The Facebook.com audience skews more female (56 percent) than male.
- Facebook.com became the #1 ranked website in the U.S. on March 9, 2010.
- The term ‘Facebook’ is the most searched term in the U.S. and has been for the past three years, starting the week ending July 18, 2009.
- Facebook-related terms account for 6 percent of the top searched terms in the U.S. and Facebook-related terms made up 4 of the top 10 U.S. searches (among the top 100 search terms for the 4 weeks ending May 12, 2012).
- Facebook.com users are highly loyal to the website; 96 percent of visitors to Facebook.com were returning (defined as visited within past 30 days) visitors in April 2012.
- 10 states account for 52 percent of visits to Facebook.com – California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Georgia, North Carolina based on year-to-date average.
- The top states where users are more likely to visit Facebook.com versus the online population are: West Virginia, Kentucky, Maine, Vermont, Arkansas, Iowa, Indiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Alabama based on year-to-date average.
- The New York City DMA provides the largest volume of traffic to Facebook.com and the Charleston, WV DMA is the area where users are most likely to visit compared to the online population.
- Facebook.com is the top social networking site in the U.S., Canada, UK, Brazil, France, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore markets.
- Facebook.com is the top overall site in the U.S., Canada, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore. Facebook.com ranks 2nd in the UK, Brazil, France and Australia.
It's worth noting that the number one item hasn't changed from the statistics released in February. Hitwise just worded it differently. Last time it was "Facebook.com captures 1 in every 11 Internet visits (January 2012)." The third point is identical to last time. Points four, five, and six are also old. The rest have been tweaked or weren't listed in February.
- Facebook has over 901 million users, over 488 million mobile users
- 10.5 billion minutes spent on Facebook daily, excluding mobile
- Facebook is killing top social networks worldwide
- Facebook accounts for 1 in every 5 pageviews
- Facebook accounts for 1 in every 7 online minutes
- Facebook to pass 1 billion users in August