iPod touch users got first crack at the highly-anticipated 2.1 firmware update yesterday despite Steve Jobs' comment that it wouldn't be available until Friday. Touch users noticed the update appearing in the update panel of iTunes late yesterday and Patrick McCarron grabbed a screen showing the new features.Features listed in the 239MB update include:
- Genius playlist creation
- dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes
- improved email reliability, notable fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts
- faster installation of 3rd party applications
- fixed bugs causing hangs and crashes if you have lots of 3rd party applications
- faster loading and searching of contacts
- other bug fixes
MacRumors forums users have noticed the following additional features in 2.1:
- Faster App updates and installation
- When viewing songs it says Artist And Album underneath the Song title.
- Podcast has more descriptive information
- Can now selectively mute certain sound effects (new mail, key taps)
- More responsive
- Much faster backups
Let's hope that the same features arrive for the iPhone on Friday.