I am sad to announce it is time to say goodbye to Friending Facebook. The closing is part of a broader move to refocus ZDNet as a business brand. Let's face it: while Facebook is becoming more and more important for businesses of all sizes, the social networking giant is very consumer focused. As such, Friending Facebook is closing down.
The timing is perfect. This was Facebook's last week as a private company. This upcoming week, Facebook's first as a public company, I'm going on vacation and travelling across Europe. Facebook and I are both moving into new chapters of our respective lives.
Over the last 15 months, I've written hundreds of articles, received thousands of comments, and brought in millions of page views. I've broken major stories but I've also made mistakes. It's been a roller coaster ride, but I can definitely say I have learned a lot.
Here's a quick look back at Friending Facebook's top 25 articles by traffic:
- Here’s what Facebook sends the cops in response to a subpoena
- Facebook is hiding your messages from you
- Facebook Timeline lets you see who has unfriended you
- Facebook hit with $15 billion class action user tracking lawsuit
- Facebook tracks you online even after you log out
- Teacher's aide fired for refusing to hand over Facebook password
- Anonymous is not attacking Facebook today
- Facebook blocks Google Chrome extension for exporting friends
- Facebook hacked: Are you seeing images of porn and violence?
- Facebook virus or account hacked? Here’s how to fix it.
- Facebook: we have proof Ceglia’s contract is a forgery
- Reddit users overwhelm Facebook with data requests
- How to get the Facebook Timeline (officially and unofficially)
- Yahoo, Facebook test "six degrees of separation" idea
- 4chan founder to Facebook CEO: you’re doing it wrong
- Facebook is suing Mark Zuckerberg
- How to get started with Facebook Timeline
- A closer look at the Facebook Timeline and the Open Graph
- Facebook Messenger for Windows officially released
- Facebook: Releasing your personal data reveals our trade secrets
- Facebook: Legal action against employers asking for your password
- Facebook is down in Europe
- Facebook’s stock symbol will be 'FB'
- Exclusive: Paul Ceglia says Facebook is doing the forgery
- Facebook engineers bring Google+ Circles to Facebook
I want to thank all of you for your dedication, for your commentary, and for your feedback. Seriously, it's been an honor to bring you Facebook news and commentary over the last year.
R.I.P. Friending Facebook First article: February 14, 2011 Last article: May 20, 2012