Gov't proposes disconnecting file-sharers

Summary:Internet users suspected of illicit file-sharing could be disconnected under proposals by Lord Mandelson's Department for Business, Innovation and Skills

The government has introduced proposals that would see internet users disconnected from their internet connection if they are suspected of illegal file-sharing.

The proposals were announced on Tuesday by Lord Mandelson's Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS). They arrive in the middle of the department's own public consultation on legislation on the misuse of peer-to-peer (P2P) technology, which is scheduled to end in September.

"Our thinking on the process supporting the objectives and the obligations [of the consultation] has developed, and we thought it would be helpful to share these thoughts with stakeholders at this point, so that they can take them into account when responding to the consultation," the government said in a statement.

The new proposals make two major additions to the plans under consideration by the ongoing consultation.

The first proposal is a sanction against illegal file-sharers, which calls on the ISP to suspend the suspected subscriber's account. Lord Carter discounted this measure as unnecessarily harsh in his Digital Britain report, which kicked off the P2P consultation in June. However, the government now says it is "considering the case for adding suspension of accounts into the list of measures that could be imposed".

The second proposal  addresses the amount of time it will take for the ISP industry to start cracking down on file-sharers. The original consultation set out a year-long trial of a scheme under which ISPs send letters to suspected file-sharers, asking them to stop their activities. At the end of the trial, if at least 70 percent of these people had not complied, technical measures would be introduced.

Referring to the year-long trial, the government on Tuesday said "the previous proposals, whilst robust, would take an unacceptable amount of time to complete in a situation that calls for urgent action".

A spokesperson for BIS said responses to its consultation indicated that "rights holders, ISPs and consumer groups" are among the many respondents that had found the trial period to be unacceptable.

However, the ISP Association (ISPA) said in a statement it was "concerned that amendments have been proposed without consultation with the internet industry and that the decision was made to publish changes to the consultation before stakeholders had been given the opportunity to respond".

The ISPA added that it "intends to raise these concerns with the government and is currently considering the appropriate action".

BIS's spokesperson denied that the government was pre-empting the results of the department's consultation, which was initially scheduled to end on 15 September but has now been extended to 29 September to allow for response to the new proposals.

The government is bringing out new proposals because it wants "those who didn't think of these ideas" to have a chance to consider them before they submit a response to the consultation, the BIS spokesperson said.

In the Digital Britain report, Lord Carter put forward a variety of technical measures, such as bandwidth throttling and protocol blocking, that could be used to address piracy. In its statement on Tuesday, the government said that "since the issue of the consultation, some stakeholders have argued strongly that none of those technical measures is powerful enough to have a significant deterrent effect on infringing behaviour".

Asked to identify the stakeholders in question, the BIS spokesperson said it was "safe to assume they would be rights-holders".

The government acknowledged the need to make sure innocent individuals, such as those sharing an internet connection with suspected copyright infringers, were not affected by any technical sanctions. If the disconnection measures were introduced, for example, "it would be important to ensure as far as possible that innocent people... would retain access to the internet services they need, including online public services", BIS said in its statement.

Asked how this could be done, BIS's spokesperson declined to give details, but said the government "wouldn't put something in the statement unless we knew it was possible".

The government also said it wanted to make accommodation for any developments in P2P, such as when one file-sharing site is closed down and another automatically replaces it. "We cannot know how P2P technology might develop in the short- to medium-term, and we want to ensure that [the regulator] Ofcom has a full toolkit from which to select the most appropriate measure should technical measures be deemed necessary," BIS said in its statement.

"It's very possible the technology will change again," the BIS spokesperson said.

Topics: Government : UK, Networking

About

David Meyer is a freelance technology journalist. He fell into journalism when he realised his musical career wouldn't be paying many bills. His early journalistic career was spent in general news, working behind the scenes for BBC radio and on-air as a newsreader for independent stations. David's main focus is on communications, of both... Full Bio

Kick off your day with ZDNet's daily email newsletter. It's the freshest tech news and opinion, served hot. Get it.

Related Stories

The best of ZDNet, delivered

You have been successfully signed up. To sign up for more newsletters or to manage your account, visit the Newsletter Subscription Center.
Subscription failed.