Mark Elliot Zuckerberg was born on May 14, 1984. As such, the American computer programmer and Internet entrepreneur best known for co-founding Facebook with three of his classmates, is 28 years old today.
Facebook, the world's most popular social network, launched on February 4, 2004. That year, Zuckerberg was planning to sell Facebook off to a bigger company, but he ended up building it into a multi-billion dollar business instead.
This just so happens to be the business that is expected to go public this week, and start trading stock on May 18. It may not be happening on his birthday, or even the week of his birthday (I'm sure he's keeping his fingers crossed), but either way, that's one hell of a birthday present.
Zuckerberg will be about the same age as Michael Dell and slightly older than Steve Jobs when those two took their respective companies public. The difference is that Dell and Apple build hardware, as well as software to go with it, while Facebook is an online service.
Enough about Facebook though, let's get back to Zuckerberg. He famously wears a hoodie, jeans, and sneakers. He lives in Palo Alto, California, with his girlfriend Priscilla Chan and a white Hungarian Puli dog named Beast. Apart from the fact that he's a billionaire heading one of the world's biggest companies, Zuckerberg tries to lead an ordinary life.
The young man has worked hard over the years and has had to mature very rapidly in order to keep up with his work and also have time for his friends and family. The best, as they say, is yet to come.
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg: Mobile app is top priority
- Zuckerberg on Facebook IPO: it's not something I think about much
- Zuckerberg: Google, Microsoft collect data "behind your back"
- Mark Zuckerberg: Steve Jobs gave Facebook advice on focus
- Mark Zuckerberg: "I really do use Facebook all day long."
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg: spamming apps are lame
- Mark Zuckerberg: Facebook minimum age limit should be removed