Apple has sold three million iPads since its launch last Friday, but how does this compare with historical sales of Apple products?
Let's start with the Mac. Back in the first quarter of 2008, Apple sold 2.3 million Macs, and the company didn't break the 3 million mark until the fourth quarter of 2009. During the last quarter Apple sold 5.2 million Macs, with an average of 58,000 a day.
The iPod got off to a slow start, selling only 125,000 units in the first quarter it was available (but it was only available for two months of that quarter) during the first quarter of 2002. By the third quarter of 2004 Apple only managed to shift 860,000 iPods, but during the fourth quarter of 2004 things started to pick up, with 2 million units sold, and 4.5 million by the first quarter of 2005. During the last quarter Apple sold 15.4 million iPods, averaging some 171,000 a day.
Let's look at iPhone sales. Initial sales during the third quarter of 2007 were 270,000, picking up to 1.1 million for the fourth quarter of 2007 and 2.3 million during the first quarter of 2008. Sales then dipped until the fourth quarter of 2008 when a massive 6.8 million units were sold. During the last quarter Apple sold 37 million iPhones, or some 400,000 a day.
Data source: Apple
The iPad was a strong seller right from the start, selling 3.2 million units in its debut quarter, the third quarter in 2010. Over the last quarter 15 million iPads were sold, working out at some 166,000 a day.
Data source: Apple
3 million sales will no doubt make the iPad a huge seller this quarter and further hasten our entry into the post-PC era.
- Why Apple doesn’t need to innovate much to stay ahead of the competition
- New iPad’s most revolutionary feature is its battery
- Why Apple’s iPad rebranding makes sense
- iOS 5.1 available for download
- New iPad is bad news for Android tablets
- iPad 3 will help Apple grab 70 percent of the tablet market in 2012
- How do I securely wipe my iPad for resale?
- Five great games that push the iPad 3’s Retina display
- New iPad feature 'Dictation' sends/stores private data to Apple servers
- Latest iPad may boost Apple's app, music revenue
- iFixit tears open Apple's new iPad: What's inside?
Historical data sources:
- Apple Q1 2000 | Apple Q2 2000 | Apple Q3 2000 | Apple Q4 2000
- Apple Q1 2001 | Apple Q2 2001 | Apple Q3 2001 | Apple Q4 2001
- Apple Q1 2002 | Apple Q2 2002 | Apple Q3 2002 | Apple Q4 2002
- Apple Q1 2003 | Apple Q2 2003 | Apple Q3 2003 | Apple Q4 2003
- Apple Q1 2004 | Apple Q2 2004 | Apple Q3 2004 | Apple Q4 2004
- Apple Q1 2005 | Apple Q2 2005 | Apple Q3 2005 | Apple Q4 2005
- Apple Q1 2006 | Apple Q2 2006 | Apple Q3 2006 | Apple Q4 2006
- Apple Q1 2007 | Apple Q2 2007 | Apple Q3 2007 | Apple Q4 2007
- Apple Q1 2008 | Apple Q2 2008 | Apple Q3 2008 | Apple Q4 2008
- Apple Q1 2009 | Apple Q2 2009 | Apple Q3 2009 | Apple Q4 2009
- Apple Q1 2010 | Apple Q2 2010 | Apple Q3 2010 | Apple Q4 2010
- Apple Q1 2011 | Apple Q2 2011 | Apple Q3 2011 | Apple Q4 2011
- Apple Q1 2012