The HP TouchPad debuted one month ago to mixed reviews. To alleviate a handful of problems, Hewlett-Packard has a new software update.
HP webOS system update 3.0.2 doesn't address every problem (and there are certainly some issues, such as the bulky size, that it could never address), but it does hone in on some system performance and stability quirks, among other bugs.
Here's an outline of the overall improvements for the TouchPad's core applications:
- Calendar: Quicker Just Type event search and creation; Improved handing of meeting cancellations
- Email: Faster scrolling; Improved message content and image display; Improved management of multiple emails in Draft and Outbox views
- Music: Reduced audio skipping when the device is running other applications; Better display of album art
- Photos & Videos: Added ability to set wallpapers; Faster and more reliable handling of individual photos and albums
- Text Assist: Improved speed and accuracy of auto-corrections
- Web: Increased scrolling support compatibility within web pages; Improved performance of remote HTML5 video playback; Improved responsiveness of auto correction within the browser
Other improvements to the webOS system overall include fixed problems with "oversensitive screen rotation" and some unspecified security issues.
HP TouchPad users should be able to download the over-the-air update immediately.
- HP TouchPad: Still better than Honeycomb
- Tablets are for people who hate computers
- HP TouchPad: Waterfield Designs sleeve case review
- The tablet landscape by platform, summer 2011 edition
- How to: Procure Apple iPads, tablets in the enterprise