HTC Frequencies; discovering the other 90% of the iceberg

Summary:HTC held an event last week to hold open and honest conversations with mobile enthusiasts from around the world. The discussions were engaging and extremely educational.

Earlier this month HTC posted their Q1 2012 earnings and the 70 percent fall in profits was a bit of a shock. The good news is that their HTC One Series is launching soon and indications are that it should significantly help as they move through this time of product transition. Last week, I took a couple of days off work to attend the inaugural invite-only HTC Frequencies press event in Seattle and I have to say I came away with a MUCH deeper understanding of HTC and some of their more recent strategies and design philosophies. As they say, only 10% of the iceberg is viewable and that is what consumers and mainstream media see. However, the other 90% of what goes on at HTC is what makes the company and I came away a much smarter person with knowledge that will help me write better articles. I have always liked and purchased HTC devices and now that I know more of the back story I have even more respect for the company and its employees.

Much of what we talked about was off the record and the level of trust between HTC and the 25 or so mobile bloggers and press representatives from around the world was impressive. I was extremely pleased with the candid conversations with HTC folks, including Jason Mackenzie, President of Global Sales and Marketing, Claude Zeilweger, Principal of One & Co, Bjorn Kilburn, VP of Portfolio Strategy, and Eric Lin, Manager of Product Strategy.

I now have a better understanding of the Beats Audio deal, HTC Sense 4.0, amazing work that went into the latest One Series camera, extreme attention to detail in smartphone design, and even a walk through of an HTC smartphone from an idea into a shipping product. There were no discussions on Windows Phone or Android tablets and I expect that the Windows Phone Apollo conversations are being held back until a future Frequencies event.

There are a few articles online from some of the other attendees and I recommend you read the following articles if you want to know a bit more about some of the public conversations:

In the interest of full disclosure, I took two full days of PTO from my professional engineering day job to attend the event and paid my own hotel costs so that no travel or lodging costs were paid by HTC (I live about 45 miles south of Seattle). I did enjoy meals with the other folks and HTC did hand out a set of Beats MIXR headphones so we could test Beats Audio with the international One series of devices along with an early version of the HTC Media Link HD (review coming soon) and a messenger bag.

Related ZDNet posts

Topics: Smartphones, Hardware, HTC, Mobility

About

Matthew Miller started using a mobile devices in 1997 and has been writing news, reviews, and opinion pieces ever since. He is a co-host with GigaOM's Kevin Tofel on the MobileTechRoundup podcast and an author of three Wiley Companion series books. Matthew started using mobile devices with a US Robotics Pilot 1000 and has owned over 200 d... Full Bio

zdnet_core.socialButton.googleLabel Contact Disclosure

Kick off your day with ZDNet's daily email newsletter. It's the freshest tech news and opinion, served hot. Get it.

Related Stories

The best of ZDNet, delivered

You have been successfully signed up. To sign up for more newsletters or to manage your account, visit the Newsletter Subscription Center.
Subscription failed.