I've written a few posts about the HTC Touch Diamond and my last one discussed some of the issues I was seeing with the device. I like to visit the XDA Developers site for the tweaking they do to the HTC devices, but it is kind of gray area when they post ROM fixes and updates. However, this latest discussion on the HTC Touch Diamond ROM discusses a ROM fix posted on the HTC Hong Kong site so it seems legit to me. The major functionality that this brings to owners here in the U.S. is that it enables the 850 MHz GSM band so you can now use it more reliably with AT&T!
I should be getting my Touch Diamond back shortly from a buddy I loaned it to and plan to install the update before I reload the device with all of my applications. According to the XDA Developers site, the update also looks to fix a few of the other issues I was seeing and I am actually quite excited about the prospects for a more stable and functional device. The list of fixes includes:
- Fixes to the loss of signal issue (my main pet peeve that agitated me after it appeared a few weeks after using it)
- Fixes the camera mode touch navigator lack of response (I did see this a couple of times)
- Fixes internal storage file listing issues
- Fixes SMS sound alert notification delay
- Improves audio quality after audio booster enabled
- Improves TouchFLO 3D tab switching speed
- Improves Home page loading speed
- Turns off the 5-second auto screen off during a call and uses your system power setting (very cool!)
- Adds a scroll bar to the weather selection setting (no more scrolling forever!)
I haven't seen this ROM update posted on other HTC sites yet, but since it is up on the Hong Kong site there shouldn't be much risk in upgrading your device. I'll report back on my experiences after trying out the update myself.