IBM is aiming to make its consulting services easier to consume with bundles of analytics assessments and recommendations that can be bought online.
For Big Blue, the effort, dubbed IBM Global Business Services Online, gives it a shot to add new clients and ultimately up sell them to larger engagements. For existing clients, IBM can offer its knowhow through an easier digital delivery model.
The consulting mart will be available to clients in the U.S. and U.K. Once a click-to-buy transaction is initiated a consultant will contact the client within one business day.
During IBM's services peak, the company could get by with massive deals worth billions of dollars spread over a long period of time. IBM's services army could also layer in Big Blue's hardware and software as well as intellectual property. Those large deals are harder to find and IBM's consulting business remains a cash cow, but growth has also stalled.
Assuming IBM's services are easier to consume, the online delivery model may be worth matching. For now, IBM's digital services revolve around mobile applications, analyzing social media, application development and testing. Online support is available too.
The packaged digital consulting tools revolve around the following:
- Social analytics and customer insights;
- Development maturity evaluations;
- Mobile application migration to IBM's Worklight;
- Technical health checks for SAP applications;
- And a roadmap for Oracle applications.
Here's how an engagement would work:
- Click to buy online.
- IBM accepts the order for the selected Service by sending the welcome kit
- The welcome kit confirms the service activity start date and schedule, and provides the contact information of the IBM Service coordinator.
- In addition, the welcome kit will provide required Service questionnaires for the client to complete.
- The IBM Service coordinator contacts the client (over phone/ e-mail) on or before the scheduled activity start date to schedule required meetings at mutually agreed upon and convenient times, based on the client’s selected Service options and analysis type.