Despite predictions that the demand for datacenter facilities would slow, 451 Research, parent of a number of technology-related concerns that include the Uptime Institute, is estimating that capacity for multi-tenant datacenters in the New York region will hit a utilization rate of 94 percent in 2014. This is despite the fact that over the last two years a number of large-scale multi-tenant facilities have opened in the region.
With concerns about datacenter operations, many of which stem from the impact of the issues affecting datacenter uptime during Sandy, New York region customers have been looking at options for disaster recovery as well as the economics of moving their colocation sites out of Manhattan’s high-rise datacenters.
For Internap, this presented an opportunity as their existing facility at 75 Broad street in NYC is nearing full capacity, and their presence at the well-known carrier hotel at 111 8th Avenue required reevaluation after the facility had been purchased by Google. With Google not having announced what their plans for that facility would be, Internap has opened a new facility in Secaucus, NJ, which can expand to 55,000 square feet of datacenter space. Their plans include migrating their existing customers currently located at 111 8th to the new facility.
The new facility offers a full range of services from bare-metal to the Internap AgileCLOUD platform, and a full range of customizable solutions. For those customers not looking for a repeat of the problems encountered after hurricane Sandy, the facility is built outside the region's 500-year flood plain, an issue that found some facilities as islands during the post-hurricane flooding.
Features of the new facility include:
- Construction that includes high-efficiency UPS system, outdoor air cooling system and reclaimed building materials, in accordance with green building practices.
- All IT infrastructure services are backed by a 100% uptime Service Level Agreement (SLA).
- Advanced N+1 design with concurrent maintainability ensures maximum uptime and complete infrastructure redundancy.
- Scalable design that supports power densities of up to 18kW per rack which allows customers to scale in place by adding power in-rack without consuming additional floor space.
- Internap's PlatformConnect service, with Layer 2 VLAN (Virtual Local Area Network) technology, allows for the seamless, cost-effective hybridization of its virtual and bare-metal cloud, managed hosting, colocation, storage and other infrastructure services within the Secaucus facility and between other Internap data centers.