Apple seeded iOS 8 beta 2 to registered developers today with a number of new features and stability enhancements. The new iOS 8 beta 2 build, labeled 12A4297e, marks the return of the dedicated Podcasts app and a Safari feature that blocks ads from automatically redirecting to the App Store. Safari also includes a new pinch to tab view.
According to the release notes, published by BGR, Apple has squashed a number of bugs in beta 2 including apps crashing on launch when restored from a backup. Apple also notes that iCloud Backups may not be completely restored to your device and suggests that developers use iTunes to back up and restore iOS 8 beta devices.
Apple also cites several known issues, including reduced battery life caused by extensive console logging of NCLaunchstats and that the CoreBluetooth State Preservation & Restoration feature does not work. Beta 2 also includes several changes, bug fixes and continued known issues with features such as Handoff, HealthKit, HomeKit, iCloud Drive, iCloud Keychain and Keyboards.
MacRumors is tracking several observed changes in beta 2, including:
- App Store purchases are again sorted by purchase date
- Apple's QuickType keyboard is now available on the iPad (but not on iPad 2)
- The Brightness toggle (in Settings > Wallpaper and Brightness) is working again
- A new iCloud Photos popup when opening the Photos app and the ability to enable iCloud Photo Library (which disables PhotoStream)
- Handoff now works between iOS 8b2 and Yosemite b2 devices
A MacRumors forum thread is tracking the changes in iOS 8 beta 2, including the reunited Podcasts app, the Bug Reporter app and iCloud Photos, in even greater detail.
Disclaimer: iOS 8 betas are intended for developers testing their apps. iOS 8 betas are not recommended for production devices and may cause data loss and include security vulnerabilities.