Running out of room on your 32 GB iPad 2 or just need to share files between several iOS devices simultaneously? Well Kingston has your back with its new Wi-Drive that comes in both 16 GB and 32 GB models that just launched at Computex today.
Wi-Drive is a wireless, portable flash drive that can transfer files to three different iOS devices within a 30 foot range at the same time. It definitely takes its design cues and form factor from the iPod touch, with rounded corners in a glossy case that measures 4.7" by 2.4" and only about 0.3" thick. Like any USB flash device, the Wi-Drive does not discriminate between different file formats so you can carry everything from music, videos to office documents on one device. "It's also a great companion for Windows users on iPads," according to its website, "as it removes the frustration of using auto sync to view content."
To use the Wi-Drive, simply transfer your files from your computer to the Wi-Drive via USB, as well as download the Wi-Drive app from the AppStore onto the iOS devices that need to link to the drive. Then use the Wi-Drive app to connect to the Wi-Drive by Wi-Fi, and enjoy the convenience of sharing content between devices without any wires or having to hover over your colleague's shoulder as he clicks through his presentation.
The Wi-Drive sounds like a great idea but I'm not sure if it's worth the money: The 16 GB version will set you back $130, while the 32 GB will cost $175. It will be available for purchase later this month. Unless you are sharing movies and high-resolution photos that are too cumbersome or too confidential to upload/download, cloud-based file storage services will probably be sufficient for most basic needs -- and many (like Dropbox) are free.
How can the Wi-Drive fit with your use of the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch? Share with us in the comments.
Other technical specs are as follows:
- Compatible with: iPad, iPhone 3G/3GS/4, iPod touch (3G is limited to iOS 4.2.1+)
- Dimensions: 121.5mm x 61.8mm x 9.8mm
- Operating Temperature: 32°F to 122°F (0°C to 50°C)
- Storage Temperature: 14°F to 185°F (-10°C to 70°C)
- Rechargeable Battery: up to four hours of continuous use
- Wireless Network Interface: Wi-Fi 802.11g/n with wireless security (WPA/WEP)
- Configurable APN (access point name) and Key functions to connect to Wireless Access Point (Internet Connection)
- Supported File Formats:
- Audio: AAC, MP3, WAV
- Video: m4v, mp4, mov, Motion JPEG (M-JPEG), AVI
- Image: jpg, bmp, tiff
- Document: pdf, doc, docx, ppt, pptx, txt, rtf, xls