Microsoft's Kevin Turner was channeling Salesforce.com chief Marc Benioff for a few minutes at the company's financial analyst meeting.
Turner, operating chief for Microsoft, was walking analysts through Microsoft's key businesses. After all, the business software unit is thriving. After a rundown of successes, Turner broke out the SharePoint love.
SharePoint is the fastest selling commercial business product of all time in the history of Microsoft. Fastest to a billion dollars. It's viral in most companies. It's become the Facebook for the enterprise.
And it's absolutely got tremendous momentum that pulls a lot of the Microsoft suite with it.
If you've been following any of the collaboration and social enterprise companies, SharePoint is a common punching bag. Meanwhile, Benioff is looking to make Chatter the social enterprise standard.
Who knew everyone was dying to be the Facebook of the enterprise?
- Sharepoint: IT doesn't kill businesses, people do
- Microsoft: We're adding 20,000 new SharePoint users a day
- Office 365: SharePoint Online and the cloud-based website
- Salesforce.com, Workday forge Chatter alliance: Win-win for both
- Salesforce.com CEO Benioff calls for 'corporate Spring'