The bring your own device movement has become a big security headache for technology executives, who need to offer choice, support multiple devices and secure data, according to a Forrester Research survey.
The survey's findings break down like this:
- 55 percent of executives expect to support more devices in the next 12 months.
- 66 percent of employees use two or more devices such as a desktop, laptop, smartphone or tablet.
- 12 percent of employees use tablets.
- 16 percent of employees use four devices.
- 52 percent of companies are focused on supporting mobile workers better.
- 18 percent of companies are implementing enterprise application stores.
But the worry for tech execs revolves around securing devices and applications. As a result, mobile decision makers are planning to spend heavily on mobile device management tools in the next 12 months. That reality could be a boon to the struggling Research in Motion, which has focused on managing BlackBerry devices as well as the popular Apple iOS and Android smartphones.
Here's the priority list for enterprises: