The Signature app is billed as a personal shopping assistant that helps retail sales associates build better relationships with specific customers. We're not talking about the sorts of pesky clerks that follow you around when all you want to do is browse by yourself; we're talking about the best sort of personal shoppers who scout deals they know you would specifically appreciate, saving time.
So, the software actually serves purposes for both customers and retail store employees, who can basically program the application so that it acts as an extension of their advice.
Here are the sorts of tasks that the Signature mobile app is intended to support:
- Notifications for customers when shopping events, preferred brands or specific items become available in the store
- A personalized greeting when customers enter the store, offering information about relevants sales
- The ability to see when specific human personal shoppers are in the store, so the customer can set an appointment or leave messages
- The sales associate can set up the application with the customer's favorite sizes, brands and such
Individuals can download the software from the iTunes store; if you are a retailer, you need to contact Signature Labs in order to have the application set up for your specific retail store. The application should go live with some specific (undisclosed) retail brands during the spring.
It's pretty clear from the wording of the press materials that Signature Labs covets national retail brands, but I have already written about some pretty nimble small retailers pioneering the mobile retail experience, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them make something of this software -- perhaps even more quickly than the "big" guys. Signature's financial backing comes from Draper Fisher Jurvetson, Triangle Peak Partners, Amicus Capital, Don Hutchison, and Dave Pell.
- Time for retailers to check out self-checkout technology
- New York retailer lets customers surf inventory via Apple iPad
- Small retailer enables self checkout with iPhone app