According to 9 to 5 Mac's Apple store source the new iPad that will be announced tomorrow should be available in stores on Friday, 16 March. This makes sense given that the iPad 2 was announced on 2 March 2011 and then available in stores the following Friday, 11 March when I was able to hunt one down.
You may also recall that there was an online ordering option with the iPad 2 launch, but after just a few hours (sales started at midnight) availability was pushed back to 2-3 weeks. The online option may happen again and you will need to stay up late to get in on that action, but won't get your iPad 3/HD for 3-5 days. The fastest way to get one will be to find one in the stores, but again there WILL be lines and selected models will sell out.
I will try to order one online to make sure I get one, but may then take the day off (it's a geek rock concert after all) to get in line for one at the local store.
Related ZDNet coverage
- My hunt for the elusive iPad 2 delivers some big game
- UPDATE: After a few hours Apple iPad 2 shipping drops to 2-3 weeks
- Webcast: ZDNet analysis of the new Apple iPad announcement
- How do I securely wipe my iPad for resale?
- Apple iPad fastest-growing SMB technology, data suggests
- iPad 3 rumors come to life: We rate them here
- iPad 3: One more thing