Just ahead of the expected debut of the next generation Wii console at E3 2011 in Los Angeles this week, Nintendo has found itself as the latest big name victim of hackers.
Fortunately, things for Nintendo don't look nearly as bad as they did for Sony when its PlayStation Network went down in April.
This time the group responsible was Lulz Security, a hacker group that recently claimed responsibility for another Sony attack involving over a million accounts last week.
To Nintendo's credit, the gaming giant has responded somewhat quickly to the public although many details haven't been revealed yet, such as how much data was actually at risk. Nevertheless, Nintendo asserts that nothing sensitive (personal or corporate account related) was actually stolen.
Additionally, Lulz says that the hack was all in good fun. The Associated Press reports:
"We're not targeting Nintendo," the group said in a message posted to Twitter over the weekend. "We like the N64 (gaming console) too much — we sincerely hope Nintendo plugs the gap."
Related coverage on ZDNet:
- Will hack attacks finally become a boardroom issue?
- Sony 'Welcomes Back' PSN users with free games 'til July 3
- China warns Google over attack claims: Does it matter though?
- Sony Europe hacked by Lebanese grey hat hacker
- China claims US started global 'Internet war' after Google attack