Nuance and Nvidia have formed a partnership that aims to bring more machine learning to radiology to enhance and speed up existing workflows.
Radiology as an industry is seen as ripe for machine learning and artificial intelligence. Whether it's an MRI or analyzing reports machine learning is seen as a technology that can improve care and get results to patients faster. Nvidia also outlined a partnership with GE Healthcare to bolster AI's role in medical imaging.
For instance, Dr. Yvonne Lui, Chief of Neuroradiology and Director of AI, NYU Langone Medical Center, said at a recent IBM event in New York City that machine learning could dramatically speed up the time it takes to perform an MRI and deliver results.
Under the Nuance-Nvidia partnership, the companies will combine Nvidia's deep learning platform with Nuance's PowerScribe radiology and PowerShare image exchange network. Nuance's platform is used by 70 percent of the radiologists in the U.S.
Also: NVIDIA morphs from graphics and gaming to AI and deep learning | IBM forms Watson Health medical imaging collaborative | Google's DeepMind and the NHS: A glimpse of what AI means for the future of healthcare
The Nuance AI Marketplace for Diagnostic Imaging aims to enable deployments of imaging AI models into existing workflows. Nuance plans to use its installed base to bring together researchers, developers, health IT companies as well as hospitals. The marketplace will auto-populate reports and integrate multiple applications.
Nvidia's deep learning tools will be behind training and publishing applications for the Nuance AI Marketplace. Training would include items such as comparing normal and abnormal chest X-rays to identify pneumonia.
- Inside the black box: Understanding AI decision-making
- Infographic: 50 percent of companies plan to use AI soon, but haven't worked out the details yet
- Five ways your company can get started implementing AI and ML
- Why AI and machine learning need to be part of your digital transformation plans
- Should Amazon be your AI and machine learning platform?
- Should Google be your AI and machine learning platform?
- Should Microsoft be your AI and machine learning platform?
- Should IBM be your AI and machine learning platform?