With smartphones like the OnePlus 3, it's tough to justify paying more than $400 for a smartphone today. The company just announced the next model, the OnePlus 3T, which brings improvements in the processor, battery, and camera with an option for more internal storage.
The OnePlus 3T will start at $439 for the 64GB model and is advertised as launching on Nov. 22.
The OnePlus 3 is an excellent Android smartphone available for $399. It was released in June, and just five months later, we are seeing an incremental bump in the internal specifications. Current OnePlus 3 owners likely won't have any need to upgrade, but others looking for an affordable Android phone with flagship specifications may definitely consider this powerhouse of a phone.
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 quad core
- Display: 5.5-inch 1920 x 1080 pixels resolution Optic AMOLED, 401 ppi
- Operating system: Oxygen OS built upon Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
- RAM: 6GB
- Storage: 64GB or 128GB of internal storage
- Cameras: 16 megapixel rear camera with OIS and 16 megapixel front facing camera
- Wireless technology: NFC, 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WiFi, Bluetooth 4.2
- Battery: 3,400 mAh battery with OnePlus Dash Charge technology
- Dimensions: 152.7 x 74.7 x 7.35 mm and 158 grams
OnePlus has publicly stated that a beta build of Oxygen OS built on Android 7 Nougat is coming soon, so we can expect the OnePlus 3T to be upgraded to this version within the next couple of months as well.
Instead of gray, a new gunmetal color will be available with the OnePlus 3T. It looks to be a darker gray than the standard gray found in the OnePlus 3.
The only things lacking here compared to the iPhone 7, Google Pixel, and Samsung Galaxy S7 are a Quad HD display and water resistance. The cameras on these newest Android and iPhone devices are fantastic, while the OnePlus 3 and 3T are fine for most well-lit environments. Consumers will have to decide if paying twice the price for these features is worth it as they consider the OnePlus 3T.
One aspect that I like about the OnePlus 3 and 3T is the ability to customize the smartphone to your personal preferences, even more so than you can with most Android smartphones. The OnePlus smartphones have always catered to the smartphone enthusiast, but with more people considering SIM unlocked devices at half the price of a flagship major brand, there is an opportunity for OnePlus to succeed with these devices.