I had a wonderful conversation with Aly Orady, CTO of Pano Logic, and his colleague, Dana Loof, EVP Marketing, about the release of both new software capabilities and a new thin client device. Pano Logic, by the way, calls their devices "Zero Client" systems rather than Thin Clients because the devices rely on the back end for all computing functions.
What Pano Logic has to say about Pano System 4
Pano Logic, the leader in zero client desktop virtualization, today announced Pano System 4, a next generation zero client device that will replace PCs and thin clients with server-side software flexible enough to support all three leading hypervisor platforms.
These next generation zero-client devices are:
- Secure – Zero clients have zero footprint, so controlled access to information enables 100% data security and compliance at the endpoint.
- Manageable – Pano System 4 is centrally managed and contains no moving parts, slashing the cost of computing and hardware, reducing energy consumption by 97% and freeing IT for more important tasks.
- Flexibile – Pano System 4 is the industry’s first and only server-side software flexible enough to support three leading hypervisor platforms without the need for expensive remoting or display protocols, client side compute processing, or convoluted driver stacks.
Next Generation Pano Zero Client:
- Four USB ports supporting real-time communications such as VoIP, for video conferencing, voice recording and speakers/headphones
- Enhanced video rich media support/performance
- Dual DVI monitor ports along with VGA monitor support
- Integrated audio input/output jack
- Award winning green design is available in silver(chrome) or matte black finish, and still only 3.5” (88.8m) square, 2” (51mm) tall,
- Power consumption continues to be the industry’s lowest at 6 watts
Pano System 4 SoftwarePlatform support for:
- VMwareVI3 or vSphere 4.0-4.1, View 4.0 and 4.5, vCenter Server 4.1
- Microsoft Hyper-V in Windows Server 2008 R2, Hyper-V Server along with System Center Virtual Machine Manager
- Citrix XenDesktop 4 and NetScaler (optional Citrix Provisioning Server)
Pano System 4 is the only desktop virtualization solution available that can support Citrix XenDesktop, Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware vSphere/View interchangeably, and interoperate with each platform’s management systems. Enhanced user experience and functionality, including added native dual monitor support and enhanced USB support for VoIP and webcams is also included in Pano System 4. Customers now have flexibility and investment protection for their heterogeneous environments while providing end users with an optimum user experience.
Snapshot analysisI've been tracking Pano Logic for quite some time and have always thought that their approach was clever, flexible and quite capable (see Pano Logic Launches Pano System 3.5, Pano Logic Launches Pano System 3.0 and Pano Logic adds remote access in version 2.6 for commentary on earlier releases.) Each release has stretched the limits of what organizations could do with thin client devices and made them applicable to new categories of staff members and individuals. This release is no different in that respect.
Pano System 4 could easily support task oriented workers regardless of whether their organization had selected Citrix, Microsoft or VMware virtual machine technology. These staff members could work on-premise at a company office or be mobile and still have access to their applications and data. The newest software and hardware capabilities make Pano's solutions applicable to many of the organization's "knowledge workers" and even some developers.
Pano, however, faces stiff competition from HP, Wyse and a few other suppliers of thin client solutions. The simplicity, long life and ease of management of Pano's "Zero Clients" certainly make their solutions worthy of a close examination.