Printer manufacturers are scrapping for market share as unit shipments continued to fall in the second quarter, according to IDC. Aside from Wi-Fi enabled printers, unit volume was whacked.
- Inkjet printers accounted for 60 percent market share in a field of 20 million units or show.
- Printer shipments fell 12.7 percent for inkjets. That fall is the largest since the third quarter of 2009. Wireless inkjets show growth.
- HP is the leader with 39.6 percent market share in the second quarter. Canon is second with 21.4 percent share.
- Laser printers showed growth of 0.8 percent in the second quarter.
- Color laser printers account for 16 percent of the category.