Security has been dominating the headlines in the last few weeks from Sony's PlayStation network being taken down and credit card information revealed to Apple's alleged nervy response to its "Mac Defender" malware. See what you know about the issues and keeping your systems clean and running.
Instructions: Click on your answer and then see how many others agree with you. Then click to see the answer and the next question.
1. Prevent malware by applying software patches immediately. Microsoft sends its patches on the second Tuesday of every month. Apple patches its software when?
The correct answer is B. Patches come sporadically with various updates and are usually in large numbers.
One of Apple's last patch updates included 54 issues.
2. Where is a bank robbery most likely to occur:
The correct answer is B. In a bedroom - from a PC
Beginning at least in 2009, online thieves netted more money from online heists than traditional "hand-the-teller-a-note" robbers.
3. In an Internal memo, an Apple memo did NOT advise employees to say this to customers who complain about "Mac Defender" malware.
The correct answer is D. Refer customers to the Apple Retail Store. We will be happy to provide any additional support for malware.
Check out Ed Bott's expose - a good read.
4. What company's software tops Kaspersky Lab's list for most top ten PC vulnerabilities?
The correct answer is C. Adobe
5. Sony says its recent outage of the PlayStation Network was the result of a hack attack. Who did Sony blame at first?
The correct answer is B. Anonymous - A secretive group of Internet activists
Peter Cohen tells Sony's confusing side of the story.
6. A program that claims to rid your computer of viruses but instead introduces viruses onto your computer is called a:
The correct answer is A. Trojan horse
7. "Elk Cloner" is first known virus known to roam "in the wild." It infected which operating system via floppy disks:
The correct answer is A. Apple DOS
In 1981, a 15-year-old high school student created Elk Cloner which was spread on Apple II operating system floppy disks. It displayed this rhyme on the screen:
Elk Cloner: The program with a personality
It will get on all your disks It will infiltrate your chips Yes it's Cloner!
It will stick to you like glue It will modify ram too Send in the Cloner!
8. "Koobface" is best known for attacking users of:
The correct answer is D. Facebook
9. This device has proven to be one of the worst spreaders of malware.
The correct answer is C. USB storage device
10. If you are a Windows user, one way to avoid malware is to:
The correct answer is C. Switch to Linux.
And, now for your results (correct answers):
10: There's a new sheriff in town. 7-9: Pretty good, you're giggling at the ones who are pulling out their hair. 4-6: You need to change your password from 654321> 1-3: Go see your friend who works in IT - IMMEDIATELY 0: You're a disgrace. Please sell your PC and buy a big screen.
Thanks for playing!
- Quiz: Are you Anonymous?
- Return of the Linux Quiz
- Quiz: Can you believe what you see?
- Are you a smartphone guru?
- How well do you know your Microsoft Empire?
- Browser wars
- Ready to play a game quiz?
- Are you a Linux guru? Find out.
- Are you a tech cheapskate?
- 10 things you may not know about Google
- IDC predicts Windows Phone 7 will be 2nd behind Android by 2015