Rackspace Hosting's second quarter results topped estimates as revenue surged from the year ago quarter.
The hosting and cloud computing company said revenue was $187.3 million, up 23.2 percent from a year ago (statement). Of that sum, managed hosting revenue was $164.1 million. Cloud computing revenue was $23.2 million. Net income for the second quarter was $11.19 million, or 8 cents a share. Wall Street was expecting earnings of 7 cents a share on revenue of $186.8 million.
By the numbers:
- Total server count in the second quarter was 61,874, up from 59,876 at the end of the first quarter.
- Rackspace had 108,023 total customers in the quarter.
- The company had $148.5 million in cash and equivalents and employed 3,002 people.
- Rackspace, NASA launch OpenStack: Can it prevent cloud lock-in?
- As cloud platforms battle for credibility, OpenStack is pretty solid
- Rackspace, Google, Facebook and Microsoft battle for spotlight at Open Source Convention
- Choosing the right cloud platform