SanDisk promises that its new flash-based storage systems and software will eliminate many of the I/O performance problems your data center faces today. They may just have something here.
Its next generation of Fusion ioMemoryTM PCIe application accelerators are designed, the company states, to dramatically improve the performance of databases, transaction processing, virtualization, cloud computing, big data and analytics and anywhere else high performance and ultra-low latency is critical.
This new product line is the first solid result from SanDisk's summer of 2014 acquisition of Fusion-io's flash-based PCIe hardware and software lines. As Sanjay Mehrotra, SanDisk's CEO, said at the time the Fusion-io purchase will help it target the "flash-transformed datacenter." Here's the proof of that assertion.
These new Fusion ioMemory PCIe application accelerators are made up of SanDisk NAND flash and Virtual Storage Layer (VSL) data access acceleration software. The company claims that they can deliver up to a 4x price performance improvement, with up to a 61 percent list price reduction, over its last generation's Fusion ioDrive2 product.
This new Fusion ioMemory portfolio offers an array of form factors ranging from PCIe cards to mezzanine storage for HP and Cisco blade servers. Each card is optimized for mixed-use or read-intensive workloads and can also be paired with SanDisk's recently announced next generation FlashSoft caching software, which reduces I/O latency in VMware vSphere, Windows Server, and Linux environments, helping customers further accelerate enterprise applications.
The newly updated Fusion ioMemory application accelerator portfolio includes:
- SX350 and SX300 Series-- Ranging in capacity from 1.25TB up to 6.4TB, the SX350 and SX300 provide a cost-efficient solution for both mixed-use workloads such as virtualization, databases, business intelligence and real-time financial data processing and read-intensive workloads, such as web hosting, data mining, seismic data processing, content caching, 3D Animation, and CAD/CAM.
- PX600 Series-- Ranging from 1TB up to 5.2TB, the PX600 series is designed for mixed-use workloads such as virtualization, databases, business intelligence and real-time financial data processing.
- Mezzanine Series-- Available on the latest HP Gen9 and Gen8 BladeSystem Servers and the newest CISCO UCS B-Series Blade Servers, the SanDisk's Mezzanine Series delivers high performance and density gains over hard disk drives for virtualized environments. Utilizing the Mezzanine cards helps support more virtual machines per server, and accelerates database mining and business intelligence, resulting in cost and time savings.
- FlashSoft Bundles-- The new bundles deliver the benefits of Fusion ioMemory flash hardware and caching software in a single solution that is easy to evaluate, deploy and support, regardless of storage operating systems or architectures.
So, if you want to get the most Input/Output Operations Per Second (IOPS) for your data-center apps, SanDisk's new line deserves a long hard look.
- SanDisk launches Infiniflash, aims to bring flash array costs down
- SanDisk iXpand Flash Drive for iPhone and iPad, First Take: Useful but complicated
- SanDisk buys Fusion-io for $1.1 billion, beefs up datacenter push
- New 3D NAND flash memory from Intel, Micron could result in 10-terabyte SSDs
- Pure Storage's latest arrays aim to broaden Flash data center deployments