It seems that Sony is, at last, doing the right thing and offering all those in the US affected by the PlayStation Network and Qriocity 12-months free ID theft protection.
Sony has made arrangements with Debix to offer PlayStation Network and Qriocity account holders 12 months access to AllClear ID Plus.
This service includes:
- Cyber monitoring and surveillance
- Access to private investigators and ID restoration specialists
- $1 million ID theft insurance plan
Those affected will be sent activation codes and a link to the enrollment page via email. The activation codes will be valid until June 18th.
Note: Details of the plan are available here.
If you're outside the US, then there's nothing yet. Sony promises to "make similar programs available in other countries/territories where applicable" and Sony's EU blog says that there will be an announcement "very soon," so stay tuned.
There is no word yet as to whether Sony Online Entertainment customers will be offered this protection. I hope that they are, especially given the fact that some customers bank account details were leaked.
This is good news for those affected, and exactly what I suggested Sony had to do a few days back.
- PlayStation Network intrusion hackers grabbed customer details
- Sony to offer PlayStation Network users 'Welcome Back' apology pack
- Sony Online Entertainment now down due to intrusion
- Sony Online Entertainment portal breached, more financial information in hands of hackers