T-Mobile's John Legere may be brash and offensive, but you have to admit he is changing the US wireless carrier industry for the good of all consumers.
Mr. Legere posted the results of his 2015 predictions along with his 2016 forecast. As you can see, his 2015 predictions were spot on. The only prediction he didn't meet was securing two million Twitter followers.
His 2015 predictions for the US wireless industry included the following:
- This Un-carrier revolution we started will speed up ... to warp speed
- We'll go toe-to-toe with Verizon's network almost everywhere ... and win.
- The competition will continue to bumble along.
- Wearables and phablets will be the big device stories of 2015 (and maybe some connected cars). The Apple Watch will mark the tipping point when wearables go from niche to mainstream.
- I'll be in conversation with nearly 2M Twitter followers (at the very least 1.5M...) by the end of the year. Oh, and the creepy Legere Doll will have more followers than all carrier CEOs combined.
- DC is going to be very busy on regulatory issues for the Wireless Industry.
- MetroPCS will pull even further ahead of the prepaid pack.
- We'll bring Un-carrier to whole new groups of people.
- T-Mobile will - officially - become the No. 3 wireless company in America in 2015.
A couple of these are left up to interpretation, but most were verified by the reactions of other US carriers and benefits for T-Mobile customers. I was very surprised to see Verizon drop contracts, but was not at all surprised to see T-Mobile pass up Sprint as the number three carrier.
My daughters were very pleased to receive a massive amount of LTE data for no additional cost with the Amped-Up initiative back in July. I can also personally attest to the fact that I get faster LTE data that now reaches deeper into buildings as well.
John Legere's 2016 predictions include:
- The Un-carrier revolution will march forward, T-Mobile will keep eliminating industry pain points, and we will absolutely keep creating new ways to delight and surprise our customers.
- Our LTE coverage will keep improving faster than the other guys-and perception will start catching up to reality.
- Binge On will become one of our most popular Un-carrier moves ever, we'll more than double the number of video streaming services in our program, adding at least 24 more... and the Duopoly will keep pushing their self-serving video strategies.
- Verizon will get more and more panicked - now that our network is going head-to-head with them nearly everywhere.
- The number of US businesses switching to T-Mobile will grow even faster.
- Consolidation rumors will continue.
- Mobile payments will take root and start to build real momentum -and eventually they'll conquer the future.
- IOT (Internet of Things) will start to be more than a few buzzwords.
Mr. Legere also offers a few predictions unrelated to the wireless industry, including VR adoption, drone usage, and Batman v Superman results. I showed off my Samsung Gear VR over the holidays and family members were blown away by what a simple headset and phone offers. I agree with his prediction that it will get more popular in 2016.