Here's a snapshot of what some of the biggest players in tech and other industries are saying about the departure of Jobs in 140 characters or less:
- Marc Benioff, CEO of Salesforce.com: "Steve Jobs is the greatest leader our industry has ever known. Its the end of an era."
- Robert Scoble, Tech enthusiast: "The day Apple fans were dreading is here. First impulse: wish Steve Jobs all the best. Second: to note the end of an era."
- Harry McCracken, Founder of Technologizer: "Still unimaginable: that Jobs was the most important person in personal technology both in 1978 and in 2011."
- Susan Orlean, Writer: "Funny how much emotion you can feel about a stranger. And yet every phone call I make, every time I'm on my computer, he's part of it."
- David Pogue, Tech columnist at The New York Times: "I agree with you all that Apple is teeming with geniuses. But Jobs added a single, pure vision that will be tough to maintain by committee."
- Tim Stevens, Editor-in-chief of Engadget: "Don't let the enormity of this news overshadow the very human core of it all. My thoughts are with Steve."
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, Former governor and actor: "Steve Jobs is one of California's greatest innovators. Very few achieved his impact over the last 50 years and probably the next 100 years."
- Damon Lindelof, TV writer: "I know it's wishful thinking, but I can't help but wonder if Steve Jobs is about to pull a very elaborate Wonka on us."
- David Copperfield, Magician: "I hope Steve Jobs takes the time to care for himself. He has spent the majority of his life pioneering for us.http://say.ly/oGvDe7"
- Michael Arrington, Founder of TechCrunch: "This just plain sucks."
- Steve Jobs resigns: Now Apple’s succession plan to be put to test
- Steve Jobs: Thinking through his CEO legacy
- Thank you, Steve. For all you’ve done, for all of us
- Jobs' departure won't diminish Apple's brand
- Apple's Steve Jobs: In his own words (video)
- Steve Jobs: A look at his three CEO acts (video)
- CNET: A look at Tim Cook, the man replacing Steve Jobs
- CNET: Text of resignation letter from Steve Jobs