Talk to any enterprise software company and user experience (UX) comes up. Apparently, budgets are going up to improve user interfaces and experiences as we well as to test approaches to emerging devices.
According to a survey from UserTesting.com, a sample of 1,300 UX professionals said that testing budgets have gone up, multiple approaches are being tried and there are dedicated teams.
What's driving the UX focus? The need to hit multiple screens and deliver a consistent customer experience.
UserTesting's survey found:
- 55 percent of respondents said usability testing budgets increased in 2013.
- 60 percent said testing frequency increased in 2013 and another 70 percent see more of the same in 2014.
- 77 percent spend at least a quarter of their time on usability and 41 percent have a dedicated team on UX.
- 84 percent of usability testing is on Web sites, but 44 percent are focused on mobile.
- Most respondents use existing users to test interfaces, but many use testing services and panels.
- Users in a study typically range from 1 to 10 recruits.