I had great fun with my BlackBerry when I bought it 2 years ago ...
- Reading and sending email anytime everywhere, even while sitting on the can
- Docking it beside my bed so that I could monitor the overnight batch jobs. I programmed the batch job to send me hourly updates, summarised into a short email title so that I could see the status from my inbox screen.
- Programming it with J2ME, exploiting it for location-based services
- You have to keep clearing your mailbox or it would stop working. Often a single email with a large attachment would bomb out my BlackBerry.
- You can't purge your mailbox from your BlackBerry, you have to use a PC-based web browser because of the silly way that the BlackBerry Web Client uses frames.
- You can't properly edit Word and Excel attachments and send them back. The screen wasn't big enough for reviewing screenshots either.
- Very slow in supporting 3G. BlackBerry didn't have 3G handsets until recently.
But it wasn't long before I stopped using it...
If you're happy with the BlackBerry as your mobile companion, well good for you. For now I'm roving around town with my not-so-mobile Sony Vaio and Merlin 3G Data Card. Until something better comes along.