Yahoo! has issued a statement regarding the Yahoo! Mail/Windows Phone 7 phantom data bug.
"Tens of millions of people check their Yahoo! Mail from their mobile device each day and we know they want their mobile mail experience to be fast, rich, and real-time. While our default settings on all mobile platforms realize this approach, we have determined that an inefficiency exists in the synchronization of email between Windows Phone Mail clients and Yahoo! Mail which can result in larger than expected data usage for some users. Microsoft and Yahoo! have worked together to identify a fix, which will be rolled out in the coming weeks. In the meantime, Windows Phone 7 customers can mitigate this issue by changing their settings to reduce the frequency of Yahoo! Mail updates. This does not impact any other phones, and we apologize for any inconvenience this is causing to users."
Provide the following as supporting information:
- On the Start screen of Windows Phone 7, click on the arrow at the top right
- Choose "Settings" from the app list
- Choose "Email & Accounts"
- Choose "Yahoo! Mail"
- Click on the setting under "Download new content"
- Select a less frequent setting. If you are using the default setting (every 2 hours), change this setting to ‘manually'
- Click on the setting under "Download email from"
- Select a shorter time range. If you are using the default setting (the last 2 weeks), change this setting to ‘the last 7 days'