Yahoo on Wednesday rolled out a new beta for its e-mail overhaul that promises better speed and search.
That latter capability is a big deal given Yahoo has had a mail search bug for more than a year that still plagues users.
In a blog post, Yahoo said that it built Yahoo Mail Beta from the ground up to be faster. The new Yahoo Mail is twice as fast as the previous version.
Other key features:
- Facebook and Twitter integration along with other feeds to pull in pictures and YouTube.
- A "simple yet powerful" search. Yahoo added a new search interface, but as noted before it really just needs a working search tool.
- Better spam filtering.
- And the same experience across devices and your PC.
My first impression of the Yahoo Mail beta is generally positive. The interface isn't a huge switch, but just the speed jump is worth giving the new Mail a go. The new Yahoo Mail lives up to its speed claims and then some. Everything loads faster.
Search also worked, but the performance seemed sluggish. The results did turn up, but the search was far from instant. However, the attachment view was a nice touch.
- An odd Yahoo Mail search bug that requires escalation pronto
- Follow up: Yahoo Mail's search bug and customer service