NBN committee plagued by partisan politics
Summary: Independent MP Rob Oakeshott has warned that the latest parliamentary committee report into the NBN may be the last before the election if divisions along party lines continue.
Rob Oakeshott, Independent MP and chair of the joint parliamentary committee group investigating the National Broadband Network (NBN), has slammed Labor and Liberal committee members for sticking to their party policies in an election year, rather than approaching the review in a bipartisan way.
In the fourth of the six-monthly reports from the committee tabled in parliament on Thursday, Oakeshott said that the latest report had "proved to be the most difficult of all four".
"It has been several months of disagreement between committee members on some very basic points in this report, that have seen the report delivered later than planned. This is disappointing," he said.
Oakeshott said that the committee is becoming less concerned about overseeing the NBN and more concerned about the individual members' party platforms ahead of the 2013 federal election in September.
"In my view, this is an early warning sign that the topic of higher speed broadband technology is likely to feature strongly in political debate throughout 2013, an election year," Oakeshott said.
A fifth report from the committee is due in July or August, but Oakeshott warned that a report may not be achievable if the MPs continue to disagree.
"Instead, I think the committee has become somewhat stuck on a policy dispute between different build options, and will only deepen divisions on this in the pre-election period. If we can manage to produce a fifth report, there is a danger it won't mean much from an oversight perspective," he said.
"Despite the opportunities to report and provide oversight on a number of important aspects of the current rollout, there is every chance the next report will be nothing more than a compendium of political statements and election promises.
"If this is all we can produce, I could write it now, and it makes the entire committee process worthless and a waste of time for all involved."
The committee made eight recommendations, including that the NBN performance report include established business plan targets, and the actual results for each six-month period and audited financial statements. The committee has recommended that NBN Co further examine the possibility of opening up NBN Co towers to mobile telecommunications companies to improve mobile coverage in regional Australia. NBN Co has already flagged it is open to this idea.
Coalition: Stop the contracts
In an estimates hearing earlier this month, Liberal Senator Simon Birmingham asked NBN Co CEO Mike Quigley whether NBN Co was looking to sign four-year contracts. Quigley would not confirm the length, but said that NBN Co would look at changing contract periods if it was an advantage for NBN Co to do so.
He indicated that a number of the contracts would be signed in the middle of 2013.
In his dissenting report, Shadow Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull said NBN Co needed to keep in mind that the government may change after September 14 before entering into any new contracts.
"NBN Co and its board should be clearly mindful of a possibility of a change of government, and the need to alter contracts down the contract," he said.
"NBN Co and its board should ensure suitable flexibility is written into the terms of future contracts. If this is not possible, then the likely costs of changing and lengthening contract terms need to be weighed against perceived benefits."
Kick off your day with ZDNet's daily email newsletter. It's the freshest tech news and opinion, served hot. Get it.
Talkback
Just sign the contracts
And if it is prudent for NBN Co to enter long term contracts at any time before writs are issued in August, then it is your duty and obligation to do so. If the NBN is the right thing for the nation - and you know very well that it is - then it is the right thing to commit to it.
Malcolm Turnbull can rail all he likes that (1) the NBN is unnecessary and (2) that it's happening all too slowly. Those two contradict each other, but that's hardly unusual. If he is to inherit the project, then Mr Quigley, you bequeath him the best contracts, the most advanced network architecture, and the most forward-looking plan of any comparable nation on Earth. Then he can worry about whether it is rolling out fast enough, and if he wants to tweak it to be more efficient, so be it.
I agree 100%
Just sign the contracts
I'm not sure either party has that right at this point, but you might care to admit that NBN is pretty coy about its costing and activities. And its sign-up performance has thus far been less than sparkling.
And you can't possible hold the view that Mr Quigley is free to pursue the interests of the NBN without political influence.
Turnbull at least brings experience and intellect to the issue - argue his politics separately please.
My second request is for a simple answer to the questions:
If the optic fibre runs past my gate, who pays the cost of getting it into the back of my device?
Does the connection street/inside of house cost broadband performance. given that it may go through fibre optic then finally into the home.
don't believe the Liberal BS machine
No it hasn't. The corporate plan is visible to all, progress is reported every 3 months, there are senate estimates hearings every (I believe) 6 months, there are joint committee meetings every 6 months, the joint committee puts out a report every 6 months, and NBN Co submits documentation to the ACCC as part of the SAU process. By any measure this is about the most transparent project ever undertaken in either the public or private sector.
"And its sign-up performance has thus far been less than sparkling."
Sign-up performance has been phenomenal. In areas where the NBN has been available for more than 12 months, 25% have already signed up, in some areas it is already 50%, and all of this is before the copper network is even switched off, which will force people to change over anyway rendering the whole subject moot.
Compare to take up rates of other fibre networks and previous technologies in Aus:
http://www.minister.dbcde.gov.au/media/media_releases/2012/205
"Turnbull at least brings experience and intellect to the issue - argue his politics separately please."
I don't see how it is possible to separate the 2. His politics cause him to lie and mislead repeatedly about the NBN despite his experience and intellect. He knows and openly admits that FttP is the long term solution, yet still wants to foist the country with substandard and more expensive FttN. If he is intelligent as you claim, what possible reason does he have other than politics?
"If the optic fibre runs past my gate, who pays the cost of getting it into the back of my device?"
In the short term it is paid for from the debt NBN Co is building up. In the long term you will pay it off with your monthly fee.
"Does the connection street/inside of house cost broadband performance. given that it may go through fibre optic then finally into the home."
I can't make sense of this question. Does connecting your house to broadband cost performance? No, if you're not connected you'd have no performance at all.
""If the optic fibre runs past my gate, who pays the cost ......
Why should any other service be different?
"If the optic fibre runs past my gate..."
From NBN Myths:
NBN Co will install fibre into your home during the build for no cost, providing you with 4 data ports and 2 phone ports.[18] Simply plug your current wireless router and cordless phone into that socket, and you’ll get your internet and phone anywhere in the house, just like you do now. There is no need to rewire your house unless you want hard-wired access in other places of your home.
Source: http://nbnmyths.wordpress.com/
Experience?
What experience? Turnbull invested in an email company for a few years and made a fortune when he sold it. That's all.
He has no training, education or professional experience in the field of broadband infrastructure. He's just some guy who made a lot of money with a good investment call in the 1990s.
And he is still re-living the 1990's
If he does have any intelligence, it has been subjugated by his politics and the far-right loony factions in the Coalition.
Still Investing in FTTP/H
FTTN is a joke as performance comes to a screeching halt once it hits that last mile of neglected, obsolete copper to the home that Howard sold to Telstra & now to be purchased back at their terms & price.
Yep
Internal Connections
Tony's just invented a new task for NBN
A real shot in the arm for the NBN!
What about wireless/satellite
It is good to know how many people really have no clue about the NBN.....fibre, fibre, fibre, fibre only
over 1 500 000 people to be stuck on wireless/satellite... Neither side cares about those..
No one really cares
Welcome to the Tyranny of Distance
At least the NBN satellites should allow bi-directional HD video as well, which is an improvement, especially once the Long Term satelites come online (http://www.nbnco.com.au/assets/documents/faq-interim-satellite-service.pdf)
its unfortunate
Once the thing is built (if it is ever finished!) it may be affordable to visit towns below 1000 people. Although under labor I'd think those on satellite and wireless are far more likely to get their wireless and satellite services upgraded.
NBN Clues
In our location we miss out on a FTTH connection but the present NBN plan is fibre to a tower that will supply our area with 25MB/s.
Just a pipe dream I guess come September.
Progress stops & we wait several years during a CBA/Telstra rehash only to continue with the same crap service from a distant perhaps eventually fibre enabled Node.
Not really a surprise
Maybe a Senate committee would have worked better; at least the Senate has a relatively high percentage of minor party members who don't expect to be part of the government no matter which party forms it.