NBN rollout continues to lag
Summary: New figures published by small National Broadband Network provider Devoted NBN shows that the fibre network has only passed 1,400 more existing premises so far this year.
NBN Co will need to triple its daily run rate for the remainder of this financial year in order to meet its June target, according to statistics published online by the National Broadband Network (NBN) retailer Devoted NBN.
The figures, first reported by Communications Day, show that since the last reported figures from December 31, 2012 until March 12, 2013, NBN Co has passed an additional 1,411 premises in existing housing areas, bringing the total number of existing households now able to access the NBN to 47,511.
In greenfields, or new housing areas, the number of premises passed is lower than what NBN Co reported last year, 23,272 versus 26,300 reported at the end of December last year. NBN Co said that the figures reported to service providers do not take into account lots where houses have yet to be built.
The government-owned company confirmed the quoted brownfield figures to ZDNet today. The slow start for the year puts pressure on construction companies to ramp up their efforts across the country, as NBN Co has put a target of 286,000 brownfield premises and 55,000 greenfields premises passed by fibre by June 30, 2013.
NBN Co's daily run rate for this financial year is 1028 premises per day in brownfields areas, according to NBN Co's 2012 corporate plan. In order to reach its June target, NBN Co will need to pass approximately 3,456 premises per day for the 69 working days between March 12 and June 30 in order to meet its goal and cover the 238,489 additional brownfields premises.
ZDNet has asked NBN Co whether it plans to revise down its target, but the company had not responded at the time of writing.
Last week, Shadow Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull told the parliament that he had heard that NBN Co would not meet its June target, and said that the network could "take in excess of 20 years" to be completed.
He told Sky Agenda yesterday that unlike the policy of his predecessor, Tony Smith, his own broadband policy will be released "many months" before the September 14 election. He said that there will be nothing new in the policy, because he said that he has set out the Coalition's policy in "eye-glazingly technical detail" in previous speeches and articles.
Turnbull has consistently refused to put a price on his policy for a scaled back NBN involving the use of fibre-to-the-node technology. He has said that he would need to see the contracts NBN Co has entered into before any costing can be done. He has also declined to say exactly how long it would take for his network to be completed, but has indicated that it could take up to one-third of the time the NBN is set to roll out.
Kick off your day with ZDNet's daily email newsletter. It's the freshest tech news and opinion, served hot. Get it.
Talkback
One third of the time he makes up? Or one third of the actual?
So I wonder?
No need to wonder we all know Turnbull is full of it and has been since day one, this dummy knows that his substandard FttN patchwork plan will take just as long to implement and cost just as much as the proper NBN plan so what better way to silence the critics than inventing figures and then claiming a victory. That is the coaltion clown way it seems... I look forward to the "eye-glazingly technical detail" too as I am someone who truly appreciates a good laugh.
Electioneering?
Grow up
A lot like turbo lag
Except
Another example of this government failing to deliver.
Ah....
Hi RS, what's that brown stuff?
Sorry RS my bad
Yes, yes...
*yawn*
except except
Are they Karl?
Kiddie's Playtime.
me me me?
just my two cents
In my town
One third of the time...
Quarterly figures, anyone?
Disregard the
In Fact
So far pretty much on schedule. Problems are always to be expected, that is normal. This is a massive undertaking, over a million kilometers of fibre to be laid (factories have been built to manufacture that) with all the support infrastructure and pits and ducts to be remediated.
Plus we have the Telstra bundled plans (they have the biggest and best mobile network) and require rental of a landline in their NBN offerings discouraging take up. Plus as brought up by a poster on CRN from Toowoomba, their CBD and Business area has the NBN available even though residential has very limited availability, but Telstra is not offering the NBN to their Business customers even though many are crying out for it, only the limited number of residential, one can only assume this is common practice, denying business the opportunity, keeping take up rates down to benefit the coalitions claims. After all the coalition will be their Alan Bond