2 of 7Image
Tablets are a booming sector, and there’s never been a broader selection of hardware on offer. In this post we will take a look at a selection of the best sub 8-inch tablets on offer, starting at only $149.
All tablets listed have a screen size measured diagonally of between 7 and 8-inches.
Apple iPad mini
More column inches have been devoted to Apple's iPad mini than any other sub 8-inch tablet in existence. If hype is what counts, this is undoubtedly the king of the small tablets.
Apple has released a no-compromise product. It is a full-sized iPad that's been hit with a shrink-ray. Anything you can do on the 9.7-inch iPad you can do on this 7.9-inch device.
- Processor: A5;
- Operating system: iOS 6;
- Screen: 7.9-inch, 1024 x 768 resolution;
- Battery life: 10 hours.
- Solid, well made;
- Incredible array of apps;
- Excellent camera and speakers.
- On-screen keyboard a little cramped;
- If you dislike iOS or have an Android handset, it’s probably not for you.
Price: Starting at $329 for the 16GB Wi-Fi only model.
Image source: Apple.
Amazon Kindle Fire HD
Over the past few years Amazon has come from nowhere to become a major player in the hardware sector. It started out with the Kindle e-book reader, and has now extended its reach with the Kindle Fire range of tablets.
While the Kindle Fire HD runs Android, it is a heavily modified version of the operating system.
- Processor: 1.2 GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9;
- Operating system: Modified Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich";
- Screen: 7-inch, 1280 x 800 resolution;
- Battery life: 11 hours.
- Android, but not Android, which works for a lot of people;
- Superb screen;
- Excellent selection of apps;
- Vastly superior speakers to any tablet.
- If you want a pure Android experience, this is not for you;
- Amazon products and services are pushed at every turn;
- No support for expandable storage.
Price: Starting at $199 for the 16GB model.
Image source: Amazon.