5 of 7Image
Google Nexus 7
Android is Google's operating system, so who better to design a tablet for the platform.
The Nexus 7 offers the purest Android experience of any of the tablets here, running the stock Android 4.2.1 "Jelly Bean" operating system, free from third-party customizations and crapware.
- Processor: 1.3 GHz quad-core Cortex-A9;
- Operating system: Android 4.2.1 "Jelly Bean";
- Screen: 7-inch, 1280 x 800 resolution;
- Battery life: 10 hours.
- Pure Android experience;
- Quad-core power;
- No support for expandable storage;
- Some build quality complaints.
Price: Starting at $199 for 8GB model.
Image source: Google.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
One of the biggest players in the smartphone and tablet market is Samsung, and its Galaxy range of hardware.
Samsung brings to the table not only excellent build quality, but also custom features that appeal to hardcore business and enterprise users, features such as on-board virtual private networking (VPN) support.
- Processor: 1.0 GHz dual-core Cortex-A9;
- Operating system: Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich"(upgradable to Android 4.2 "Jelly Bean");
- Screen: 7-inch, 1024 x 600 resolution;
- Battery life: Not specified, but tests suggest about 8 hours.
- Expandable storage;
- Enterprise features;
- Front and rear facing cameras.
- No near-field communications (NFC) support;
- Glass can scratch easier than the competition;
Price: Starting at $249 for 8GB model.
Image source: Samsung.
Archos Arnova 8 G3
While Archos is better known for making media players, it also makes the Arnova range of tablets which are aimed at the more budget end of the market.
The Arnova 8 G3 is the company’s 8-inch offering. However, in order to get it in at a recommended street price of $150, corners have had to be cut in terms of the hardware.
- Processor: 1.0 GHz dual-core Cortex-A8
- Operating system: Android 4.0 “Ice Cream Sandwich”
- Screen: 8-inch, 800×600
- Battery life: Not specified, but tests suggest about 3 hours
- Cheap price
- Low resolution screen
- Poor battery life
- Poor speakers
Image source: Archos.