A court in The Hague has sided with Samsung in a case, which found Apple to have violated a 3G patent belonging to the Korean smartphone giant.
A Samsung spokesperson said:
"Samsung welcomes the decision of the court in The Hague, which again confirms that Apple makes free use of our technological innovations. In accordance with this statement, we will recover adequate damages that Apple and its products have caused."
While figures have yet to be thrown around, it's likely Samsung will seek a sum worth at least seven-figures, if not more.
However, because the infringed patent is registered under 'fair and reasonable' (FRAND) terms, the court said today that Samsung was no longer allowed to pursue any more sales injunctions against the iPhone and iPad maker as long as Apple is open to licensing negotiations.
Samsung originally brought the case to The Hague in October 2011, accusing Apple of infringing four 3G networking patents.
A Dutch court last year threw out an earlier motion to ban the Apple smartphone and tablet from store shelves based on four patents essential to 3G.
Both companies have been locked in acrimonious battles over patents since Apple fired off the starting pistol in April 2011.
Since then, the companies have engaged in dozens of cases across four continents. Both have suffered sales injunctions at each others' hands --- though Samsung arguably came off worse most of the time.
The two companies will go to trial on July 30 following the breakdown of two-days of settlement talks in May.
Image credit: Brian Bennett/CNET.
- Apple, Samsung settlement talks fail: Next stop, trial
- As Samsung looks to settle, Apple will fight on to the bitter end
- Apple given go-ahead to seek Samsung tablet ban in U.S.
- Apple, Samsung patent battle may be close to resolution
- Apple vs. Samsung: Settlement talks scheduled for May 21-22